This is one of those recipes that is so versatile depending on what fresh vegetables you have: Got mushrooms? Add them! Overflowing with zucchini in your garden? By all means use them in this fritata! No spinach? No problem, just don’t use it. Like cheddar or parmesan cheese? Substitute that. Don’t like tomatoes? Then don’t add them! The process is the same: Saute your veggies first. Place them in a bowl with mixed eggs and cheese, and pour it all back in the skillet, cook until mostly done, finish under the broiler. This makes a great breakfast, lunch or lite dinner. It tastes great hot, at room temperature, or cold It packs well to take for lunch. It is perfect for a brunch party or to bring to a potluck.
2 TBS olive oil, divided
1 onion, sliced
3-4 baby potatoes, sliced
3 cups chopped fresh spinach
1/3 cup feta cheese
1 small tomato, sliced
1. Heat 1 TBS olive oil in skillet (I use my 10″ cast-iron skillet)
2. Saute onion and some baby potatoes until potatoes are tender and slightly browned and onions are slightly caramelized (feel free to add some s&p while cooking).
3. Remove vegetables from skillet and scrape up the bits.
4. Meanwhile, mix 5 large eggs in a bowl. Then combine the potatoes, onions, spinach (chopped) and feta in the bowl with the eggs.
5. Heat the other TBS olive oil in the skillet and add the egg and vegetable mixture. Let it cook until egg is set.
6. Once bottom is solid, lift the frittata from the edges to let more of the egg run underneath. Repeat around the frittata. Add a little more feta and some sliced tomatoes on top.
7. Place under broiler for a few mins until the top is fully cooked and slightly browned (and the tomatoes have started to wrinkle).
POSTED BY HEATHER ON JUNE 11, 2012